Sunday, September 20, 2009

Plesant surprises


As a gardener, people love to give their casts offs away (I do this too.) I tend to take different or odd plants-especially bromiliads. Sometimes is is a good thing or on that can turn bad quickly. Several years ago, an elderly woman gave me several bromiliads but could not describe the flower. I though, what the hell and planted them. This particular species is deadly, not actually deadly but will cause serious damage to exposed skin. You have to wear long sleeve shits and thick gloves to hand this plant. The leaves grow out about two and a half feet and are armed with very long needles. I forgot one little thing about these plants. They grow quickly and if you ignore them they become very invasive. I planted 5 plants and now have an area with over 40 plants and they spread quickly through their root. This process took many years. One day, I started pulling some up and just about decided that it has been five years and no blooms, I would just remove them all and send them to the dump. Then the strangest thing happened. The middle of a couple of plants started turning orange. Eventually, it shot a 2' pure white spike up. This was very unusual as I had never seen a white one before so I decided to hold off on throwing them away. This large waxy spike eventually put out small flowers and then little purple flowers from within them. The flower is breathtaking. unfortunately I do not have any photos yet of this one but will post when one blooms. I also have some available it anyone will like one (shipping and handling not included.)

I bring up such cast offs, because today I found another usually flower from a plant I never thought bloomed. A friend gave me a hanging burro's tail. It's knotty leaves cascade down to the ground. While watering today, I notice something different, a waxy looking bouquet. I looked down and I'll be damn but it had bloomed. Here's a photo of the flower. It is beautiful and one day I hope the entire plant will put out blooms all at once. I guess my point today is if you are offered a plant and not sure of what it will do, be patient and you may be quite surprised-even if it may take a couple of years.

I will eventually discard a lot of the bromiliads but the burro's tail will be a keeper. Enjoy the picture.

3 comments:

  1. I never knew there were plants like that, that could do so much harm! Are they pretty when they have spread in the ground? It is a pretty color purple if only it was not so harmful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bromiliads are beautiful but in some species you have to be very careful. The Burro's tail is not a dangerous plant, It's just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every plant I have ever tried to grow dies probably because I forget to water them or something along those lines. However, I find plant to be very beautiful and quite intriguing. I find it required to say thanks for making beautiful things especially because I cannot. Since I can’t garden I’m going to come to your page to look at pretty pictures like the one above.

    ReplyDelete