Friday, October 2, 2009

Some call it junk others call it art







When you decorate your yard it, you basically use what you feel is fitting to your own likes and desires. Some people want to add that little extra touch to their gardens such as a bird bath or some little cute statues. My yard on the other hand is a combination of history, art, cute and unusual. The first thing you see when you pull into my yard is my legs which is a statement of its own. I have had people drive by, stop and back up just to see what they though they were. Katie Kinne's in EHow.com she states "If you love retro, you have to own it, be it, and be willing to defend it if necessary. So get up the guts to display what most people will find to be incredibly tackyrticle." I agree with her views, if it gets peoples attention, gives them a giggle or repulses them-it is something they will talk about again and again.

You see the fire hydrant, a real one from the city of Sanford. It is about 75 years old. I had a friend in the scrapping business give it to me. The down fall was it came with the original pipe that cam out of the ground. It took everything I had to unload it from my truck and drop it in a four foot hole. Though it was worth the potential of a hernia. Though, this will go with the house if I ever sell. In the same bed, I have a couple cute little rabbits which came from Aunt Gwen's. I also have a couple of other little cutsie statues that came from her yard which normally I would not have in my yard but they have significant sentimental value.

Most of the beds are surrounded by large stones. The stones have a history of their own. In the late 1800s, there was a small town on 301 in Hernando county Just north of 50. The town was called Rydall, where it had a turpentine plant, a brick factory, some homes and a hotel for when the train went through. Over the years, the companies closed down and the hotel became, well basically a whorehouse. Eventually hwy 301 was moved a little more west and the hotel started falling apart. So the owner gave me permission to help my self. So I can honestly say my yard carries the spirits of the old town and a whore house.

The brick I made my sidewalk with is from the old train depot in Webster and the left overs became the start of my brick collection to build a fountain. Eventually, I will have a fountain, similar to one you may see in Savannah or in older cities. Over the past couple of years I have collected bricks from anywhere i could get them and now have enough to build a 10' by 7' by 2 1/2' fountain (bricklayer needed, with experience with concrete can pay with good home cooked meal.) I have friends who have little ponds with fish but me, I have always had a thing for fountains. While living in Indianapolis, it is safe to say I have swam in all but one of the city's fountains. Many times, the nice policeman would simply tell us to get out and threaten us with public intoxication and a few other charges but this never stopped us. With my fountain, I will not only have the fountain I want, but if I get hot I can simply walk out side and sit my happy ass in my fountain without threat of getting arrested.

As you continue the tour, you will see several original sculptures and then some statuary that I have bought. The one with the legs in a dancing position is called "Dancing Sanctuary," an original piece by an artist named John Deverter. In my orchid area, I have another original that I bought at a thrift store. I also have sever birdbaths, one a cherub and then some regular bird bird baths. One with a very large piece of amber crystal in the center which radiates as the sun shines down on it. Then the same be I have the grill to an old tractor. This may sound odd but it really adds a great effect with the flowers growing around it.

When you place yard art in your gardens sometimes it is a reflection of you. In my garden, I have a wide array of things spread out which each bed speaking for itself. My newest addition is a statue of David, yes everyone should own an anatomically correct statue of David for you yard just to keep the neighbors talking and wonder. Here in my area they don't wonder but just enjoy the scenery. One more thing, did I mention I still hate the people who shared their germs with me. I hope not many people get what ever they gave me.

11 comments:

  1. dude, your yard is fucking badass! It reminds me of my Uncle Ron's yard in Columbus, Ohio. He has all sorts of interesting trinkets in his yard from his wilder years. specifically his bird feeder, it is an old gumball machine he stole when he was in his teens, he just threw it in the back of his truck and took off. He felto so bad a week later he went and worked it off to the owner, and he now uses it with bird seed. It is art, and anything with a good story behind it is not only art, its a memory...

    ~Bane

    http://metal-101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your yard. I can tell you spend some hard earned time and effort in creating each piece. I'm from Hernando County too, so It is really cool that you have pieces of Hernando history in your yard. My favorite piece is the fire hydrant. Did you include a link to the ehow link?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You paint a very vivid picture of your yard. It's obvious that your yard has some unorthodox decorations. If I had to guess, I'd say that you're trying to express your personality with how you decorate your yard. Do you want everyone to know what kind of person you are by how your yard is decorated? Or, are you just trying to make a pretty garden?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I respect the fact that your yard is a direct reflection of you. It was very interesting to hear about the history of many of the pieces in your garden and the ones with sentimental value. It is great that you have no fear of what your neighbors think or say but that you have created a garden that is appealing to you and satisfies you. Great Job!

    Quilt Block Tour

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this post was interesting because for one, I know next to nothing about gardening, but I have seen yards that have caught my eye before. My favorites are the fire hydron and the dancing Sanctuary piece. I would have never guessed that so much "junk" in one's yard could have such meaning and sentimental value in one's life. I will probably never look at a yard with seemingly "random" decorations the same again, because your yard really is a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really feeling the idea of fabricating a fountain from the old, classical bricks you've hoarded over the years. My one piece of advice, and I preface this by saying I literally know nothing when it comes to bartering masonary services, but if you're serious about getting this fountain in gear with the help of a mason, I'd hafta imagine a skilled service such as that would require a little more than a home cooked meal.

    Like I said, I could totally be wrong. You may be home right now watching Johnny McBricklayer creat the greatest fountain since the days of Achilles and Odysseus while his meatloaf bakes in your oven.

    Maybe a home cooked meal and some small monetary reimbursment?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you do things your way. Including setimental value is important. Many people in today's society want to "keep up with the Jones." Take the time to enjoy the spectators. Maybe when they stop, you can go up to them and offer advice.

    ReplyDelete