Sunday, November 15, 2009

Here in this space, I have found an avenue to share with others about what makes me happy-my dirt, my land and my gardens. Yes, there is a great deal of work to do here but a little work never hurt anyone and it is very therapeutic. As I look over the comments from readers, I must say, take time to enjoy. It’s ok to lay on the grass and look up at the sky-even if the sign says stay off the grass. Take that little bit of time and let the power of the sky fill your heart. If you do not have a green thumb, look around at the flora around you. Better yet, buy yourself some flowers-you deserve it. Receiving flowers are a great gesture on the giver’s part, but when you buy them for yourself you can look at them, smile and know that with all the ugliness in the world, you’re ok.

As I look around my property, I have so many memories of people from the past and the present. When I moved here, I had a neighbor, Mrs. Ryals, who was in her eighties and could tell you the history of any rose. My daylilies are from my friend Betty, who I have spoken of before. I always have sunflowers in my gardens. I had a very special friend, Mary, who was ill. She lived in Georgia with her son but had planned on moving here to live out her final days. She never made it here but her room is still decorated in a thirties theme to suit her. She loved sunflowers. When she died, I took some to her funeral and her children did not even know. So here I will put out for anyone that reads this, when you see a sunflower say hello to Mary.

This may be my final posting but overall, from this exercise, I have learned that it does no matter whether you enjoy quilting, heavy metal, rap, fashion, sports, Irish folk music or even “Project Runway”, we find beauty in our own way. Yes, we may look at others in a different light but Life is too short. Enjoy life, appreciate everything around you, don’t be too quick to judge but mostly take the time to smell the rose. There is nothing sweeter in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment