Monday, November 9, 2009

My world is a very very fine place!


People often ask me “why do you live so far away from Tampa?” My common answer is “I love my dirt.” That is the short answer. The first time I came to Florida was in 1992. I came to visit my father and spend Thanksgiving with him. Then at Christmas, on a whim, I came back down. I stayed for two weeks and did not want to leave. When I returned home, I decided to make the move from the cold, wet winter of Indianapolis. In May of 1993, I loaded up my furniture and pets and made the move. The only plan I had made was to set up a tent at my father’s until I found a place. After a week of searching, I found home. When I pulled in the drive, I felt at home. I looked in the window and walked around the house, tasted the water and took the place immediately and moved in shortly after.

My home is located in a small section of the county called Pineola- Translated, “Land of the Walking Spirits.” When you are here, you feel a sense of piece and tranquility that you would never find in the city. Have I seen spirits? Let’s just say that there have been many unusual things happen over the years. I have friends that will not come out to the area after dark because of the area’s history. I have never felt threaten by anything. I guess I did not mention the other reason they don’t like to come out. For over years, this area is also known for its social club, where the members wear white sheets. Can you imagine going through life afraid of linens. In this area, I cannot imagine those sheets being more that 300 thread count, who can be afraid of that? Now if we are talking about 700 count or more, I might be a little afraid. Personally, I have never had any problems with this club and in reality, they are not the club they were 50 years ago or even 20 years. If the founding families still carry the attitude of their past, they do no show it. I am grateful for this but really was hoping to get the welcome basket and a burning cross.

This land is a sanctuary for all who visits. Some of my friends come over just to sit under a tree and decompress, At night, you feel so close to the stars, you feel you can reach up and grab one. The symphony starts at sundown, as the crickets begin to warm up their legs and the whiporwill starts to practice its song. By Midnight, the entire forest has joined in and the show begins. Occasionally, they will have special guests such as a visiting owl or a crane. When you combine this with the sounds of a crackling fire and good conversation-life is good.

Writing this blog has given me the opportunity to share a special part of the world and show those who questions my reasons for living here a greater perspective. I love the city and in time will live in the city but I’ll never give up my serenity of the country. My door is open to anyone who wants to escape. Thank you for your interest in my world.

Some will ask if there is any downfall to living here, no. Granted my taxes and insurance are out of this world (this year they went up to $370 and insurance $800) but I am happy. As Ethyl Merman sings, “I got the sun in the morning and the moon at night.”


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice place to live at. I've always liked coming out at night so maybe it would be wise to camouflage if coming out there after dark. I have a friend who owns some property in Pasco County and it's fun going there at night and drinking some beers with a fire lit. Thinking about it the farthest I've gone from the city is the suburbs. I've always thought it be nice hanging out in the country someday, pick up some flowers and get rid of them while you walk in a big field and then sit under a tree and watch the world pass you by slowly.

    ReplyDelete